Skip to main content

invisible ties book review




This is one book which totally surprised me. When I read the blurb of the book, I thought it gave away most of the story, but I was completely mistaken. The narration is almost impeccable and the author has done an amazing job with the storyline. The character of Noor has depth and once you immerse yourself in the story, you can live through Noor’s experiences. . .

Noor, a girl hailing from Pakistan, is down-to-earth and humble unlike her extravagant mother and her high profile lifestyle. There is a void in her life in terms of love and care which one gets from a relationship. Things take turn for the worse when one day when Noor’s mother is kidnapped. Noor’s expedition from Pakistan, to Singapore and then to London, is put to a halt when her mother and aunt force her to marry Meekal and settle abroad. A stunt pulled off so that the society applauds Noor’s market value. A sorry state of affairs in our country. Noor gets marries to a seemingly typical unloving family. The story unfurls further only to surprise the reader. . .


Through this book, the author has moved beyond the storytelling skill. She touches on various themes which ail our society – relationship constraints, unrequited love, and mental health. The entire story is a journey of self-discovery and resonates with a lot of emotions any reader has experienced in life. . .

The story becomes a drag when the reader learns more about the architectural layout of the places Noor lives in or travels to. There's unnecessary focus on detailing on her attire instead of her expressions and her feelings or the impact of the incident on her making the writing fall flat.


Noor along with other characters of the book isn't described in detail. There are very few dialogues between the characters which are also very strange in speech which makes it hard to decipher what they mean. The book has a vague beginning and it took me some time to understand what's happening, the supporting characters don't contribute much to the plot. As a reader I couldn't connect with Noor emotionally since her submissive behaviour confused me greatly. Her weakness and desire make her indifferent and malleable. I found it hard to like the characters from this book. The plot had great potential but lack of character description made it a tiring read.


My only problem with the book is that it is too descriptive at certain places. The narration is simple but sometimes it gets stretched because of which I got distracted a couple of times. But overall, the author has done a wonderful job with this book. Looking forward to reading more of her works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearmouth by Liz hyder book review

Bearmouth, a debut YA novel by Liz Hyder! This book made me remember how dark young adult fiction can get actually, I liked that she didn’t shy away from tackling difficult topics! . It’s an interesting world Hyder’s set up, and a unique style she’s written it in. Bearmouth is a mine, where men and boys are forced to live, work and sleep in exchange for measly wages that barely cover their living costs. I come from an area with a very strong mining heritage, so it was interesting to see that used as a YA premise! . Told from the POV of Newt, the language takes some getting used to. Newt is only just learning their letters, and it’s written out with sort of phonetic spellings - it’s confusing for the first three pages but then your brain does adjust and it’s no harder to read than a regular book - and it’s fun to see Newt’s learning progress throughout. . I thought it stalled a bit around the middle section, but the ending picked up. I also would have liked a bit more exploration...

Time, The scarcest resource

1. Dictionary definition of time:   Time is what we measure in hours, minutes, days and years; it is the duration in which all things happen. It refers to the period that we spend doing something. Time is equally available for all; it comes and goes. Time is priceless and costly;time is free and available for everyone. If we value time, time will be valuable and we will be blessed. But if onewastes time, time is so powerful that one can be definitely destroyed by time. Time is usually determined by a CLOCK but time is also determined by our action and psychological condition. This aspect of time adds new dimensions to how time may be perceived. Here we go    2. Various dimensions of time: Time is slow when you wait. (A person in a queue to submit a form)  Time is fast when you are late.  (A student getting late for the first class). When we start our day late, it seems, we are getting late everywhere the whole day.  Time is short wh...

Xxxtentacion awesom lyrics quotes

1.) “I’m lost then I’m found” — XXXTENTACION, SAD! 2.) “Who am I? Someone that’s afraid to let go” — XXXTENTACION, SAD! 3.) “The saddest thing about betrayal is that it never comes from enemies, it comes from those you trust the most.”— XXXTENTACION 4.) “You decide if you’re ever gonna let me know” — XXXTENTACION, SAD! 5.) “I’m in pain, wanna put 10 shots in my brain I’ve been tripping bout some things, can’t change suicidal, same time I’m tame.”— XXXTENTACION, Jocelyn Flores 6.) “I can’t seem to find someone’s shoulder Who will I rely on when it’s over?” — XXXTENTACION, ALONE PART 3 XXXTENTACION quotes on depression 7.) “So outside of my misery, I think I’ll find A way of envisioning a better life” — XXXTENTACION, Hope 8.) “I’m sadder than most of you with the money and the freedom” — XXXTENTACION 9.) “Make out hill, where we met We let our lips do all the talkin’ and now I’m hooked and… Depression and obsession don’t mix well”  — XXXTENTACION, Depress...